As summer approaches, you might be wondering how to let your dog have some fun in the water and still keep him safe/healthy. Here are some swimming tips for canines:
- Don’t leave your dog alone around a pool–keep your pool fenced in with a secure gate and don’t leave any pets within the fenced in perimeter unattended.
- Make sure your dog has a way to get out of the body of water he is swimming in
- Expose your dog to water gradually. Exposure will keep him safe if you plan to spend some time around a body of water, but remember that not all dogs love the water.
- Don’t let your pets wander around rivers/lake shores alone. They will find dead fish and other potentially harmful things to eat.
- Don’t let your dog drink pool water–chlorine and other chemicals can cause gastric distress and other health problems.
- On boats, make sure your dog wears a flotation device!
Stay cool and stay safe!