We posted previously about the benefits of a senior dog for your favorite senior citizen here: http://lastchanceranchsanctuary.org/seniors-for-seniors/ but we also wanted to talk about how November is officially Senior Pet Adoption Month!
There are so many animals that need a forever home, but we specifically want to talk to you about seniors. Did you know about all the positives about them? Here are some great reasons to take a second look at the senior pet at your local shelter:
• Most of them are already socialized and well-behaved
• They are just as eager to please. You know the adage about old dogs not being able to learn new tricks? It’s not true.
• Senior pets are fabulous at providing company for senior citizens who are also enjoying a slower place of life (see the link above). In one particular study (http://www.petpartners.org/document.doc?id=319) , over 60% of elderly men and women with animals said their pet was their only friend.
• You know exactly what size he is going to be because he’s not growing anymore! No surprises here.
• Adult pets are the most difficult to be adopted out. They will appreciate you taking them home.
Remember, adopt – don’t shop! We wish you luck in finding your new best friend.