Cats are susceptible to health problems brought on by high summer temperatures. Here are some tips to keeping your cat cool throughout the summer:
- Don’t take away the fur. Shaving your cat’s fur makes their skin more susceptible to the sun’s rays.
- A well groomed cat will help keep the heat at bay.
- Keep your cat’s water and food dish away from the sun’s rays.
- If your home has a basement consider allowing your cat access, since it will be dramatically cooler down there.
- Know the signs of heat stroke: panting, drooling, fever, etc.
- Try to restrict play times to morning and evenings when the heat is at its lowest.
Cats need our help to stay cool this summer and these tips can be a great starting point to helping them beat the heat.