What a wonderful time of year it is. For many of us, it’s a time to be thankful for our friends, family and general well-being. You just might go to wonderful parties and bring home all kinds of food that you usually do not keep around. With that in mind, please keep your pet’s safety in mind during the holiday season. If you cannot resist feeding them from the table, the following is a list of foods that are toxic to your cats and dogs:
• Any meat given to your pets should be well done and boneless.
• Fatty meat is difficult for your pet to digest, and can cause pancreatitis in dogs.
• Raisins and grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs.
• Dough and batter contain raw eggs, so salmonella is the first concern, but secondly, the rising dough can cause severe digestive problems for your dog.
• Make sure you dispose of your foil, saran-wrap and wax paper properly. These can cause intestinal obstructions for your pet if ingested.
• Mushrooms can cause problems with your pet’s internal organs which can lead to seizures or even death.
Remember, pet food is always the best food for your little friend, and if you never feed them from the table they will not expect you to. Happy Thanksgiving!