If you are having guests over for Thanksgiving dinner, here are a few things to keep in mind for keeping your pet safe.
- Stay away from bones. A Thanksgiving turkey will usually yield many bones, which can be a choking hazard for pets. Keep all bones in a plastic bag and ask guests not to feed your pet.
- Because meal preparation can be hectic and involve things like knives and fire, keep dogs and cats out of the kitchen. Pets can get underfoot and cause tripping and spillage, which is dangerous for people and animals alike.
- As guests arrive, confine dogs and cats. Your pet may be nervous with the influx of people which could lead to scratching or biting. For your pet’s stress levels and your guests alike, keep them in another room away from the visitors at least initially.
- Use moderation in Thanksgiving treats for your pet. It goes without saying that people food high in fat and calories can be very bad for your pet.
- Keep emergency vet and poison control numbers handy, just in case.