People sometimes have the misconception that the smaller the dog the more appropriate it is for an apartment. That is not necessarily true. While your house or apartment is technically a large cage for your pet, some do better in smaller spaces than others just based on their energy level. Daily walks are still necessary along with other forms of exercise to ensure that your pup stays healthy and happy. That said, here are a list of just some of the dogs that should do well in your smaller living space:
1. Boston Terrier: These guys are typically quiet and require only small amounts of exercise. He would be happy with a short walk and then snuggling with his owner – who he will be very loyal to.
2. English Bulldog: You have probably seen this breed in at least one movie or two lazing around on the couch. That depiction is actually pretty accurate to his real demeanor. They probably are not going to run miles with you, but he would enjoy a nice stroll and cuddles on the couch. No big space necessary.
3. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: These loving dogs are some of the most easy going around. They will likely make friends with your neighbors (2 or 4 legged) and do not need much space at all.
4. Pugs: Their faces are among the cutest and their loyalty is forever. These guys just want to be near you and are very low energy. Their walk a day will keep them perfectly happy.
5. Dachshunds: These dogs have been long-touted as family-oriented dogs that are more than happy to live in any home – big or small. While similar to other breeds listed above in not needing much exercise, this breed is prone to obesity, so make sure you do take him out for routine exercise and don’t let him overeat.