Homemade cat treats are a great alternative if you feel like your cat’s diet is getting monotonous or if you want more control over the quality of ingredients. There are lots of suggestions for homemade cat treats on the internet (such as here, here, and here!). In general, though, here are some things to keep in mind:
1. Treats should be a fairly small part of your cat’s diet. Keep in mind that cats can develop weight problems, just as people do. 90% of your cat’s calories should come from nutritionally-sound cat food.
2. Avoid toxic foods such as raisins, grapes, salt, alcohol, tea, and onions.
3. If your cat requires a special diet, making homemade treats might be a great alternative to expensive or difficult to find store bought treats.
4. When experimenting with new ingredients, keep an eye out for a food allergy. Allergies can manifest as skin problems and severe itching. Your vet or a veterinary dermatologist can help better determine the issue.
5. When in any doubt, consult a veterinarian!