Packing Materials That Are Toxic to Our Pets

Tessa and Dusty-8435
When the delivery van arrives with packages, it’s generally a time for excitement – surely if you’re a dog or cat. What pet doesn’t like sniffing out new packages and for cats, what better way to spend an evening than to roll around in a newly acquired empty box? But when those boxes arrive, they’re not empty. In fact, they may contain packing materials that could be harmful to your pet if they should swallow them.
The ubiquitous packing filler called “packing peanuts” by some is generally considered to be non-toxic if they’re of the dissolving cornstarch variety. The styrofoam kind, though, are a different story. They’re not toxic per se, but if your pet decides that they want to eat some of them, they could cause am intestinal blockage because they’re not digestible in the least. Best to keep pets away from these. If you don’t know the difference, try holding some under your tap – if they dissolve, they’re safe.
If you’re also wondering what to do should your pet ingest something toxic, your best option would probably be to call your local vet. If you can’t do this, be aware of the Animal Poison Control Center is the States, based out of Urbana, IL. If you’re ever in a position where you can’t get or talk to a vet, you can call the APCC at (888) 426-4435. The call is toll free, but they do charge for a consultation, so have a credit card ready. Also be prepared to give them the information about your pet – breed, age, etc. Also what they ate and how long ago they ate it. The APCC can consult with your vet to determine the best course of action to take.

8 thoughts on “Packing Materials That Are Toxic to Our Pets”

Comments are closed.